What happened last week…was a 24-10 Bulldog loss to No. 9 Oklahoma State in Stillwater, Oklahoma. Georgia, ranked No. 13 at the time, played their first season opener outside of the Southeast since 1951 before a record crowd at T. Boone Pickens Stadium. Click here for game recap and video.
The last time they played the Gamecocks…the Bulldogs escaped Columbia with a 14-7 win last September. Neither team has scored more than 20 points in the last six meetings between the schools. Click here for game recap and video.
The last time the Gamecocks traveled to Athens…South Carolina left town with a 16-12 win over the Bulldogs and kept Georgia out of the end zone. It was the first time since 2001 that Georgia failed to score a touchdown at home.
Impress your friends with these trivia tidbits…
- Six of the last eight meetings between South Carolina and Georgia have been decided by seven points or less.
- This is the 62nd meeting between the teams. Only Clemson has played South Carolina more times.
- This is the first time since 1996 that South Carolina has come into their game with Georgia with a better record than the Bulldogs. The Gamecocks won that meeting 23-14.
- Georgia was the only SEC team to lose on college football’s opening weekend this year. The league posted an 11-1 record last weekend.
- Only Vanderbilt and Kentucky allowed fewer points last weekend than the Gamecock defense. Both teams recorded shutouts in their opening game.
- This is only the 7th time in 116 years of competing in intercollegiate football that the Gamecocks have played their first two games of the season on the road.
- Quotes from Mark Richt and several Bulldogs from Georgia’s weekly press conference about Saturday’s game
- UGA has big issues on offense
- A shaky start for Georgia’s new quarterback
- Georgia finds itself in very unusual position
- Joe Cox suddenly has critics, but he really doesn’t care
Points Per Game: 10
Yardage Per Game: 257
Red Zone %: 100% (1-1)
Turnovers: 3 (2 fumbles, 1 interception)
Points Allowed Per Game: 24
Yardage Allowed Per Game: 307
Red Zone %: 100% (3-3)
Turnovers Forced: 0
Passing: Joe Cox – 15-30, 162 yards, 1 TD, 1 INT
Receiving: WR A.J. Green – 4 rec., 52 yards; TE Orson Charles – 2 rec, 46 yards
Rushing: RB Richard Samuel – 20 carries, 87 yards
Tackles: LB Rennie Curran 8 tackles (7 solo); LB Marcus Dowtin 8 tackles (7 solo); LB Darryl Gamble 6 tackles
Tackles for Loss: DL Kade Weston 1; DL Demarcus Dobbs 0.5; DB Brandon Boykin 0.5
Field Goals: K Blair Walsh 1-1 (Long: 53 yards)
Punting: P Drew Butler 6 punts, 57 yard average