What happened last week…the Florida Atlantic Owls enjoyed a weekend without football after traveling to Nebraska on September 5, losing 49-3 to the No. 24 ranked Cornhuskers. Read the recap from FAU’s website here.
The last time they played the Gamecocks…was on September 23, 2006 when the Gamecocks defeated the Owls 45-6 in Williams-Brice Stadium. Sidney Rice caught a school record five touchdown passes in the game. Click here for a recap of the game.
What to know about Florida Atlantic University….Located in Boca Raton, Florida, the university opened in 1964 as the first public university in southeast Florida. Enrollment has grown to over 27,000 students.
Head Coach…Howard Schnellenberger owns a 48-49 record in his ninth year at the helm for the Owls. Schnellenberger was an All-American tight end at Kentucky. After working as an assistant at Kentucky, he became the offensive coordinator for Bear Bryant at Alabama and won three national championships. He would later win a national championship as head coach at the University of Miami in 1983.
Impress your friends with these trivia tidbits…
- Saturday’s game will feature two of the 12 active coaches who own national championship rings.
- The Gamecocks are 6-0 all-time against current members of the Sun Belt Conference.
- South Carolina has a 22-3 home record against non-conference opponents since 2000.
- South Carolina is two wins away from the winningest decade of all-time. The Gamecocks have won 62 games in the 2000s. The 1980s saw the team win 63 games.
- South Carolina has won its home opener in eight of the last nine seasons.
Points Per Game: 3
Yardage Per Game: 358 (Rushing 122; Passing 236)
Red Zone %: 50% (1-2)
Turnovers: 3 (1 fumbles, 2 interceptions)
Points Allowed Per Game: 49
Yardage Allowed Per Game: 490 (Rushing 259, Passing 231)
Red Zone %: 100% (4-4)
Turnovers Forced: 1 (1 interception)
Passing: Rusty Smith – 15-31, 164 yards, 0 TD, 2 INT
Receiving: RB William Rose – 3 rec., 59 yards; WR Cortez Gent – 5 rec, 58 yards; TE Jamari Grant – 5 rec, 43 yards
Rushing: RB Alfred Morris – 18 carries, 85 yards
Tackles: LB Michael Lockley 9 tackles (4 solo); DB Ed Alexander 8 tackles (2 solo); LB Edward Bradwell 7 tackles (4 solo)
Tackles for Loss: DL Daniel Joseph – 1 tackle, -2 yards; DB Austin Jensen – 1 tackle, -1 yard
Field Goals: K Blair Walsh 1-2 (Long: 21 yards)
Punting: K Keegan Peterson, 31 yard average