What happened last week…The Bulldogs defeated Winston-Salem State 27-10 at home to improve to 3-0 on the season. Click here for game recap.
The last time they played the Gamecocks…the Bulldogs were beaten 38-3 at Williams-Brice Stadium on September 15, 2007. Click here for game recap.
Trivia tidbits going into Saturday’s game…
- Coach Spurrier is 37-0 all-time in his career against teams from non-BCS conferences and 18-6 against teams from the Palmetto State.
- Thursday night’s win clinched the winningest decade in school history with 64 wins since 2000.
- Senior Eric Norwood is now the school’s all-time sack leader with 28 sacks. He is ranked 8th all-time in the SEC. Norwood is just one tackle for loss away (he has 49.5) from entering the SEC’s top-10 all-time.
- A win would give the Gamecocks a 5-game winning streak at Williams-Brice Stadium.
- S.C. State Head Coach Buddy Pough was the running backs coach at South Carolina for three years under Lou Holtz. He was a part of the Gamecocks’ 2000 and 2001 Outback Bowl teams.
- The Bulldogs are currently ranked 16th in the country in FCS and finished the regular season last year with a 10-3 record.
Points Per Game: 28.3
Yardage Per Game: 344 (190.3 passing, 153.7 rushing)
Turnovers: 4 (3 fumbles, 1 interception)
Points Allowed Per Game: 14.7
Yardage Allowed Per Game: 241.7 (144 passing, 97.7 rushing)
Turnovers Forced: 9 (5 fumbles, 4 interceptions)
Passing: Malcolm Long – 4 TD, 1 INT, 523 yds, 63.6% completion; Averages 174 yds per game
Receiving: OliverTre Young 19 rec, 245 yds, 2 TD; Richard Christie 9 rec, 95 yds; Terrance Smith 8 rec, 74 yds
Rushing: RB William Ford 49 carries, 265 yds, 2 TD; Averages 83.7 yds per game
Tackles: David Erby 26.5 tackles (22 solo); Julius Wilkerson 13.5 tackles (8 solo); Markee Hamlin 13 tackles (11 solo)
Tackles for Loss: Jayson Ayers 3 for -19 yds; Julius Wilkerson 2.5 for -8 yds; Markus James 2.5 for -5 yds
Field Goals: K Blake Erickson 3-3 FG, Long 40 yds; 10-11 XP
Punting: P Leigh Manly 10 punts, 38.7 yard average