What happened last week…The Volunteers traveled to Tuscaloosa and nearly upset No. 2 Alabama were it not for Terrence Cody’s two blocked field goals. Click here for recap.
The last time they played the Gamecocks…The Gamecocks beat the Vols at home for the first time in 16 years, 27-6. Click here for recap
Trivia tidbits going into Saturday’s game…
- The Vols and Gamecocks have split the last four games, with South Carolina winning in 2005 and 2008 and Tennessee winning in 2006 and 2007.
- Three of four games have been decided by a touchdown or less. Only the 2008 game had a two-score final margin.
- Tennessee and South Carolina have more first-year college players on their two-deep depth chart than any team in the SEC. UT has 14 and SC has 15.
- A South Carolina win would be the first consecutive win in the series.
- Tennessee is 1-1 vs. South Carolina on Halloween.
- Tennessee RB Montario Hardesty ranks 4th in the SEC in rushing yards per game with 102.9 yards.
- The Tennessee defense ranks 10th nationally in total defense.
- The Volunteers have never finished below .500 in consecutive seasons.
Points Per Game: 28.9
Yardage Per Game: 385.29 (217 passing, 168.29 rushing)
Turnovers: 14 (4 fumbles, 10 interceptions)
Points Allowed Per Game: 18.4
Yardage Allowed Per Game: 269.71 (155.86 passing, 113.85 rushing)
Turnovers Forced: 15 (6 fumbles, 9 interceptions)
Passing: Jonthan Crompton – 14 TD, 10 INT, 1,475 yds, 57.7% completion; Averages 210.71 yds per game
Receiving: Gerald Jones 22 for 281, 3 TD; Denarius Moore 16 for 241, 2 TD; Quintin Hancock 17 for 194, 1 TD
Rushing: Montario Hardesty 143 carries for 720 yds, 6 TD, 102.9 per game
Tackles: Rico McCoy 65 (35 solo); Eric Berry 55 (35); Dan Williams 35 (14)
Tackles for Loss: LaMarcus Thompson 6 for -31 yds; Eric Berry 5 for -9 yds
Field Goals: Daniel Lincoln 23-24 XP, 9-14 FG, Long: 49 yds
Punting: Chad Cunningham 28 punts, 40.93 yd average