Men’s basketball hosts the Western Kentucky Hilltoppers Wednesday at 7 p.m. at Colonial Life Arena. Click here for Tickets
South Carolina (5-1) Notes
- Coach Darrin Horn (’96) and assistant Cypheus Bunton (’95) are both graduates of Western Kentucky.
- As head coach for five years, Horn lead the Hilltoppers to four 20-win seasons, two NIT appearances and a trip to the Sweet 16 of the NCAA Tournament. Bunton was an assistant at WKU from ’04 to ’08 and Gamecock assistant Neil Berry was there from ’07-’08.
- The combined total of 190 points last Friday between Jacksonville and South Carolina broke the record for highest point total in Colonial Life Arena history.
- The 97 points scored by the Gamecocks was their highest total in 67 games.
- Senior point guard Devan Downey recorded the fourth 30-point game of his career after scoring 34 against Jacksonville.
- Gamecocks are tied for second in turnover margin with a +5. South Carolina’s opponents average over 20 turnovers per game.
- South Carolina is 19-1 when the team collects nine or more steals in a game.
- Freshman Lakeem Jackson leads all freshman with an average of 19.7 minutes per game.
- Gamecocks have made at least one 3-pointer in the last 240 games, a streak dating back to March 2, 2002.
Western Kentucky (2-2) Notes
- WKU was selected as the preseason favorite to win the Sun Belt Conference. If the prediction holds, it would be their third straight league crown and seventh in the last ten seasons.
- Senior guard A.J. Slaughter was named Sun Belt Preseason Player of the Year. He is vying to become the third straight Hilltopper to win the league’s POY award.
- The Hilltoppers have a 3-2 record all-time when facing a former head coach of the program.
- Western Kentucky is 23-31 all-time against the Southeastern Conference.
- WKU has made at least one 3-pointer in its last 675 straight games, good for sixth best active streak in the nation.
- The Hilltoppers have a 225-95 record this decade (a .703 winning percentage).