The Gamecocks face the Longwood Lancers in their final non-conference game of the season tonight at 7 p.m. in Colonial Life Arena. The game will be televised on Fox Sports Carolinas. Dave Neal and Eddie Fogler will have the call. You can also listen live to the Gamecock ISP Sports Network.
If you’re in the Columbia area, make plans to attend the game – it’s the last $1 Hot Dog Night of the season! Tickets are still available and can be purchased by visiting GamecocksOnline.com, calling 800-4SC-FANS or at the box office.
South Carolina (8-5) Notes
- The Gamecocks are 6-1 at home this season – averaging 82.9 points per game in those contests.
- The Gamecocks are 22-4 at home all-time under Darrin Horn. In his career, Horn’s teams are 85-15 on their home floor.
- Senior Devan Downey is averaging 18.5 ppg and ranks among the top 3 scorers in the conference.
- Downey also ranks third in the nation with 3.0 steals per game.
- Carolina’s 8.2 blocked shots per game rank second in the Southeastern Conference behind Mississippi State’s 8.4 per contest and fourth in the nation. Junior center Sam Muldrow paces the Gamecocks with 3.5 blocks per game, second in the SEC and ninth in the nation.
Longwood (3-12) Notes
- The Lancers are led in scoring by senior guard Dana Smith (15.9 ppg). The team captain is playing in his 120th career game.
- In the last five seasons, the Lancers have traveled to 27 different states while playing 101 games away from home. The team has played 85 true road games and 16 neutral site games. Longwood has a record of 11-90 in those games.
- The team began competing at the Division I level in the 2004-2005 season. Last season, the Lancers posted their best record since moving to Division I (17-14).
- The Gamecocks and Lancers have one common opponent this season – the Richmond Spiders. The Lancers lost to Richmond 65-52 in the South Padre Invitational in November.