The women’s basketball team is Knoxville tonight to face the No. 4 Tennessee Volunteers. The game will be televised on Fox Sports Net. You can also live in on 1320 AM in Columbia or on GamecocksOnline.com
South Carolina (7-6, 0-1 SEC) Notes
- The Gamecocks have one of the nation’s toughest schedules, ranking as high as No. 8 in strength of schedule. Only Tennessee (No. 2) has a higher strength of schedule in the SEC.
- Carolina has the fifth best RPI in the SEC – ranking at No. 45. Only Tennessee (3), Georgia (8), LSU (15), and Vanderbilt (39) are higher.
- South Carolina is 4th in the league in 3-point field goal percentage (.338) and sixth in field goal percentage defense (.291).
- Junior guard Valerie Nainima ranks 30th in the nation and 3rd in the SEC in scoring with 18.8 ppg.
- Freshman Kelsey Bone is 26th in the nation with 10.2 rebounds per game.
- The Gamecocks are looking for their first win over Tennessee since 1980.
Tennessee (12-1, 0-0 SEC) Notes
- The Lady Vols were picked to finish No. 1 in the SEC by the league’s coaches and No. 2 by the media.
- Junior guard Angie Bjorklund leads the team in scoring with 16 ppg – she shoots 48% from behind the arc.
- Sophomore forward Shekinna Stricklen recorded the program’s 2nd-ever triple double on Jan. 3 against No. 14/15 Oklahoma. Stricklen finished with 17 points, 13 rebounds and 12 assists.
- Tennessee is 26-5 in their first SEC game of the season. The last time the Lady Vols lost their opening game was in 1996 to Georgia.
- The Lady Vols have a nine-game home winning streaking coming into tonight’s game. They are averaging over 12,000 fans per game.