The men’s basketball team travels to Auburn on Saturday to open SEC play. The contest will be broadcast on the SEC Network (WIS in the Columbia area), with a pregame studio show beginning at 1:30 p.m. ET prior to the tip off of the South Carolina vs. Auburn contest at 1:47 p.m. ET. Dave Lamont and Joe Dean will have the call on the SEC Network, while Andy Demetra and Casey Manning will have the call on the Gamecock ISP Sports Network. The game is also available on ESPN360.com.
South Carolina (9-5, 0-0) Notes
- The Gamecocks are 8-3 when they score at least 70 points.
- Head Coach Darrin Horn is 67-27 all-time in league play. The Gamecocks were 10-6 in Horn’s first season in the SEC.
- South Carolina is 2-0 vs. Auburn in SEC openers. The Gamecocks opened last season SEC’s action with a 68-56 vs. the Tigers.
- The Gamecocks are still searching for their first true road away win of the season after road losses at Clemson, Wofford and Boston College.
- Senior point guard Devan Downey leads the team in scoring with 18.5 ppg. He has led or shared the team lead in 10 games this season for Carolina.
- Downey needs just 39 points to reach 1,500 points in his career as a Gamecock. Only eight players have reached that mark in South Carolina Basketball history.
- South Carolina leads the SEC in steals with 9.7 steals per game. The Gamecocks finished the season last year with the league lead with 9.1 per game.
Auburn (9-6, 0-0) Notes
- DeWayne Reed leads the Tigers with 15.7 ppg. He also leads the team in assists with 4.5 per game.
- Auburn’s most notable win of the season with a 68-67 win over Virginia on Dec. 7.
- The Tigers and Gamecocks shared two common non-conference opponents – Alabama A&M and Georgia Southern. Both Carolina and Auburn were 2-0 against those teams.
- Auburn head coach Jeff Lebo was an assistant coach on Eddie Fogler’s 1997 South Carolina SEC Championship squad.
- The visiting team has won six of the last seven games in the Auburn – South Carolina series. Carolina’s win last season at Colonial Life Arena was the first to break the trend.
- Auburn’s squad includes two Palmetto State natives – seniors Lucas Hargrove and Brendon Knox. Hargrove attended Richland Northeast High School and Knox hails from Georgetown.