The women’s basketball team is in Tuscaloosa this afternoon to face the Alabama Crimson Tide at 3 PM. You can listen live on 1320 AM (Columbia) or on GamecocksOnline.com.
South Carolina (7-7, 0-2) Notes
- The Gamecocks are top of the league in free throw shooting in SEC action at 80.8 percent. Carolina is also third in the league in rebounding margin, edging opponents by 5 rebounds per game.
- Freshman Kelsey Bone ranks among the top 30 in the nation in rebounding with 9.8 boards per game. She is 2nd in the league in rebounding.
- Junior Valerie Nainima is 3rd in the SEC and 30th in the nation in scoring with 18.6 ppg.
- A win over Alabama today would be Carolina’s second straight win over the Crimson Tide and their fifth in the last six meetings. It would also be the team’s first SEC win since defeating Alabama on Feb. 15, 2009.
Alabama (8-7, 0-2) Notes
- Alabama receives a strong contribution from its bench, as the reserves have accounted for almost 38 percent of the team’s total points this season.
- The Crimson Tide ranks second in the league in rebounding with 44 rebounds per game.
- Junior Tierney Jenkins is the league’s leading rebounder with 9.9 boards per game.
- Varisia Raffington (12.3 ppg) and Jenkins (11.1 ppg) lead the Crimson Tide in scoring.