The Gamecocks hope to continue their winning ways in SEC action as they host the LSU Tigers Wednesday night at 8 p.m. at Colonial Life Arena. The game will be televised on the SEC Network (Eric Collins and Mark Gottfried will have the call). You can also listen live on the Gamecock ISP Sports Network or on GamecocksOnline.com to hear Andy Demetra and Casey Manning.
South Carolina (10-5, 1-0) Notes
- Senior point guard Devan Downey leads the team and the league in scoring with 19.5 ppg. Downey scored 33 points on Saturday to lead the Gamecocks to an 80-71 win on the road at Auburn.
- Downey is just six points away from 1,500 career points as a Gamecock. He needs 103 points to top 2,000 for his career (includes 403 points scored in his freshman year at Cincinnati). Twelve more points would move Downey into eighth place all-time in program history.
- South Carolina ranks second in the league and fifth in the nation with 7.9 blocked shots per game. Sam Muldrow leads the team with 3.4 blocks per game – good for 2nd in the league and 8th in the country.
- The Gamecocks are 23-4 at home under Head Coach Darrin Horn. The Gamecocks are 7-1 at Colonial Life Arena and average 83.5 points in home contests.
- Carolina is 8-0 when it holds its opponent to under 70 points. The Gamecocks are 9-3 when they score more than 70 points.
LSU (9-6, 0-1) Notes
- South Carolina leads the all-time series between the two teams 12-11, but the Tigers have won five of the last six meetings. LSU won’s last year’s match-up 85-68 in Baton Rouge.
- The Tigers are led in scoring by senior forward Tasmin Mitchell (17.1 ppg). Point guard Bo Spencer averages 15.8 ppg.
- Mitchell is on pace to be one of LSU’s top five all-time leading scorers (he is currently at 1,725 career points). If he reaches the 2,000-point milestone, he’ll be just the third Tiger to accomplish the feat.
- Like the Gamecocks, the Tigers were picked by the media to finish fourth in their division.
- The Tigers were 6-3 on the road last season, but are still in search of their first road win of the current campaign. LSU is currently 0-4 in road games.