The Gamecocks are prepared for an ESPN match-up against the Florida Gators in Gainesville this Saturday at the Stephen C. O’Connell Center. Tip-off is set for 6 p.m. This will be the first of two contests between the teams this season. You can watch the game live on ESPN, which will have Brad Nessler and Jimmy Dykes on the call, or you can listen to the Gamecock Radio Network where Andy Demetra and Casey Manning will present the action.
South Carolina (11-7, 2-2) Notes
- South Carolina has not won at the Stephen C. O’Connell Center since a 71-67 victory on February 6, 2006.
- Devan Downey enters Saturday’s game vs. Florida leading the SEC in scoring in overall games (21.2) and league games (30.5). Downey averages 10.2 points better than Florida’s Erving Walker, who is second in scoring with 20.3 points per game in SEC action.
- Devan Downey averages 23.8 points per game in four career match-ups vs. Florida, including a high of 33 set last year in Gainesville.
- The senior guard is ranked No. 1 in the nation in steals with 3.3 per game.
- Evaldas Baniulis made his first start of the season against Ole Miss and is projected to start against Florida.
- Freshman Ramon Galloway, who ranks eighth among SEC freshmen in scoring (8.2) and sixth in assists (1.5), led all bench players with 11 points vs. Ole Miss.
Florida (13-5, 2-2) Notes
- UF has won 19 of the last 23 match-ups between the two SEC East rivals including three straight in Gainesville.
- Florida finished 18-0 at home in 2006-07 and went 18-2 last season. Its’ 113 home wins since the 2002-03 season are the best in the SEC.
- Florida is holding opponents to just 29.0 percent from three-point range.
- Senior Dan Werner has four career double-doubles. He started all 36 games last season and has started 87 of the last 89 games.
- UF is 106-11 over the last five seasons when holding opponents under 70 points (12-2 this year).