I think we may have run out of words to describe the play of Devan Downey.
Amazing, awesome, great – those words simply don’t do it justice.
Downey put his stamp on another South Carolina win Saturday night, nailing a shot with under a minute to play to clinch a 78-77 win for the Gamecocks against Georgia.
Trailing for most of the second half, the Gamecocks began chipping away at the lead in the game’s final five minutes. Downey came alive late, scoring 9 of South Carolina’s final 11 points.
“As the clock ticks down, he plays better and better,” said Horn. “He made a lot of really tough shots again tonight.”
Shooting 60% from the floor and 57% from behind the arc for the night, Downey kept South Carolina within striking distance against the Bulldogs. And when every single person in the building knew he was the one taking the shot, Downey hit the game-winner.
Key Box Score
|Total FG-FGA||3 pt FG-FGA||FT-FTA||Rebs||Pts||Assts||TO||Blk||Stl||Min|
|G Devan Downey||12-20||4-7||5-5||1||33||3||1||0||2||36|
We may need to rename this part of the post-game blog as the “Devan Downey Box Score of the Night.” The senior guard continued his outstanding play tonight, registering his fifth SEC game with 30 or more points.
With his third-straight 30-point effort, Downey now has six career 30-point games in SEC play, equaling the total number of combined 30-point games by Gamecock players since South Carolina joined the league. Tre Kelley and BJ McKie had two apiece and Larry Davis and Carlos Powell each had one.
“He’s terrific. We don’t have a guy with his quickness so it’s hard to play man-to-man defense,” said Georgia head coach Mark Fox. “We just mixed it up a bit to keep them off balance but it wasn’t enough.”
- With 19 points and 11 rebounds, Sam Muldrow picked up the first double-double of his career on Saturday night
- Darrin Horn improves to 5-1 against Georgia and 3-0 as a Gamecock head coach.
- South Carolina had their best SEC shooting night – making 51.8% of shots from the field and a season-high 52.9% from three-point range.
- Lakeem Jackson had a season-high five assists.
- Gamecocks improve to 10-4 when scoring at least 70 points.
- Stephen Spinella hit both of his three-point attempts, a season high in three-pointers made. He also recorded his first career block.
“To see a guy that is THE guy that has to be stopped and is Option 1, 2, and 3 for us and still gets 30 points at this level is pretty special,” – Darrin Horn on Downey’s play in SEC games