The Spurs Up Road Show is departing soon to head to Greenville for the women’s soccer game against Mexico later this evening. Follow The Editor @SpursUpBlog on Twitter for updates.
- South Carolina baseball listed as one of the country’s “winners” after the MLB signing deadline.
- South Carolina defensive lineman signee Leon Mackey will enroll at Hinds Junior College in Mississippi.
- I also plan on using this space to share positive notes from fans. Here’s an e-mail that was sent to Head Cheerleading Coach Erika Goodwin from Daniel Wilson in North Carolina.
I want to express extreme gratitude to the cheerleaders for showing such interest in my daughter, Hannah, yesterday.
Hannah is 4 years old, and started competitive cheerleading this year for CEA in Kernersville, NC. She has been practicing her jumps constantly since learning them, and yesterday she was able to show them to your team. They all gave her such positive praise, and even had her do them again making sure all of the team at the table were watching. This was such an exciting moment for her, one that she will remember for a lifetime.
Your girls are such a wonderful representation of the University of South Carolina. Keep up the great work!
I have attached a couple photos from the event, and would like to give a special thanks to the 3 Cheerleaders in the attached photos.
- As we mentioned yesterday, ticket sales for the public mini-packs started today and the results have been strong. In just the first two hours, about 2,000 packages have been sold. In case you slept in this morning, you can get yours here, going to Colonial Life Arena or calling 800-4SC-FANS.
- Watch last night’s Carolina Calls show with Coach Spurrier on wistv.com.
- More from The State on the women’s soccer team against Mexico this evening in Greenville.
- Meant to post this the other day but didn’t get a chance: everyone’s favorite mascot Cocky represented the university well last weekend at the National Cheerleaders Association. The 2009 NCA National Champion was awarded the Best All Around award and received an automatic bid to the 2010 NCA National Collegiate Championships in April to defend his title. Cocky was also named an All-American at the camp.
The Carolina Girls Dance Team started their season off strong at National Dance Alliance Camp at Myrtle Beach last weekend. The team was making its second visit to this camp and were joined by 14 other collegiate dance teams from around the country.
After a weekend full of dance classes and practice, the team earned a full paid bid to NDA’s Collegiate Championships in April. This was the first time the dance team at the University of South Carolina has received this award.
In addition, several of the Carolina Girls garnered individual awards:
Top Gun Turns: Kristyn Spitz
Top Gun Hip-Hop: Madison Henry
All Americans: Casey Emens, Lindsey Brinkley, Kristyn Spitz, Morgan Chapman, Lauren Krohn, & Brittany Robinson.
You can follow the Carolina Girls on Facebook here.
The South Carolina Cheerleaders traveled to the National Cheerleaders Association camp in Myrtle Beach last weekend and came away with strong performances.
The Coed Team was awarded a Gold Bid to NCA Nationals and finished in 1st place in the Rally Routine Competition. Chris Ellis and Ellison Coles won the Top Gun Stunt Award.
The All Girl Team was awarded a Silver Bid to NCA Nationals and took 3rd place in the Rally Routine. The team was also chosen for Game Day Performance Run Off.
Tatiana Spotts, Katey Kelly, Stephanie Zeady all received All-American Awards as well.
Congrats to both teams for representing the Gamecocks so well!