Look at the final stat sheet and you might think it was another episode of the Devan Downey Show. But a closer look will show that it took a full team effort on Tuesday night to secure South Carolina’s first win over a No. 1 ranked team.
“This was the first time everyone did what they could do,” said Head Coach Darrin Horn.
Brandis Raley-Ross complementing Devan’s 30-point effort with 17 of his own.
“I knew they were going to key on Devan, so I knew I needed to pick my spots,” said Raley-Ross. “I wanted to attack and do something out there.”
Jhondre Jefferson’s solid defense and eight rebounds in just 17 minutes of play.
“I thought Jhondre was big tonight,” said Horn. “That’s what we’re talking about – everybody doing what they can do.”
Austin Steed’s crucial block with under a minute to play.
“How about the huge block by Austin Steed?” said Horn. “That was a monster play at a huge time.”
A home crowd that was determined to will their Gamecocks to a monumental win.
“We’ve got tremendous fans here,” said Horn. “They deserved a win like this. They’ve been so supportive of us.”
“The crowd helped us and we knew that they were behind us the entire time,” said Downey. “It was a hostile environment out there.”
Key Box Score
|Total FG-FGA||3 pt FG-FGA||FT-FTA||Rebs||Pts||Assts||TO||Blk||Stl||Min|
|G Devan Downey||9-29||2-5||10-11||5||30||3||2||0||2||38|
“I’ve thought all year long, if we can keep it close, we’ve got No. 2 and we’ve got a shot,” said Horn. “His greatest quality is his heart. The kid’s got tremendous heart.”
“We wanted him to take tough shots. He’ll make some of those,” said Kentucky head coach John Calipari. “What he started doing in the end is our big guys stood straight up and and down and he went by them.”
“I knew that my team needed me to score, so I couldn’t be gun shy,” said Downey.
- Kentucky head Coach John Calipari had won 65 consecutive conference games before losing on Tuesday night to the Gamecocks.
- South Carolina won the rebounding battle 44-40. It was just the 4th time in 20 games that Kentucky had been out-rebounded.
- The Gamecocks held Kentucky to their lowest offensive output of the season (62 points).
- The Gamecocks improve to 3-0 in the Darrin Horn Era against the Wildcats.
- Downey has averaged 21.4 points against Kentucky in five career games.
- South Carolina had only 2 turnovers in the second half after committing nine in the first.
“I wish we had practice tomorrow so we can get in there and work a little harder. A win like this really does something to the team.” – Devan Downey