The Temple News wrote a great article on the school’s former head coach and South Carolina’s current head women’s basketball coach Dawn Staley. Click here to read – “Success at South Carolina.”
“The SEC is a challenge every single night,” she added. “[In] the SEC, you can try all you want to out-work somebody, but you get out-talented every single time. Talent wins in the SEC. You have to keep up with the Joneses in the SEC. Every team has an All-American in their recruiting class every single year.”
Talent is on the way, as Staley welcomes the No. 4-ranked recruiting class led by Kelsey Bone, Ieasia Walker and Ashley Bruner. Like Staley’s teams at Temple, she promises that the Gamecocks will be competitive for all 40 minutes.
“I know we’re going to work hard,” Staley said. “I know we’ll be in a position to win more basketball games than we did last year. We got to first get into the middle of the pack, and then we can talk about winning championships.”
Women’s basketball head coach Dawn Staley hosted the first “Dawn Staley 3-0n-3 Tip-Off” last night and from all reports, it was a rousing success.
- The turnout was great – 32 teams participated in the event and there was actually a waiting list of another 20 teams.
- Based on the success of Thursday night, look for this to become an annual event and possibly expanding the field.
- Each team received three Gamecock reversible practice jerseys.
- Free food, free drinks and a DJ were all available at the event
- Each game was played to 11 points (teams had to win by 2). A 20-minute time limit per game was also in effect.
- Before the tournament started, Coach Staley challenged the students to give the Gamecocks the best student attendance in the country at women’s basketball games
The two finals teams will compete at halftime of the women’s basketball game vs. Penn State on Nov. 22nd. Coach Staley will buy spring semester books for the winning team. Make sure you stick around at halftime to see it (from what we saw of the other tournament games, competition will be fierce!).
Click here for a photo gallery from the event
Season tickets for women’s basketball are on sale now at the South Carolina Athletics Ticket Office. Call 800-4SC-FANS or visit GamecocksOnline.com to order today. Season ticket plans start at just $50.
Several members of the athletics department helped welcome new South Carolina freshmen students to campus at First Night Carolina on Saturday night. Nearly 3,000 freshmen heard from women’s soccer coach Shelley Smith, men’s soccer coach Mark Berson, women’s basketball coach Dawn Staley and men’s basketball coach Darrin Horn as part of the event at Williams-Brice Stadium.
- Coach Berson and Coach Smith introduced their freshmen players to the crowd and encouraged the students to support their teams this season.
- Coach Staley offered Gamecock apparel to the first ten people who tweeted “First Night Carolina” to her Twitter page.
- Coach Horn arrived in a Garnet Army t-shirt and talked about the student section at basketball. He also left with the quote of the night: “This ain’t your daddy’s Carolina… this Carolina doesn’t lose at home!”
Students also received information about the new Student Rewards program – a way to earn points for Under Armour merchandise just for attending Gamecock events. Click here for more info on the rewards program.